Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sold by Patricia McCormick

I read Sold in one afternoon. What a moving, heart-wrenching story about a young girl in Nepal who is sold into slavery in India. The unspeakable plight of young adults in that part of the world is devastating.

I heard Patricia McCormick speak in New York this past November. She told of the research she did before writing this book. I was impressed with all she learned and the connections she made as she developed Lakshmi, the main character. I admire authors who use their gift to not only write books, but in telling the tales they bring to focus issues that might otherwise be overlooked.

The content of this book is disturbing in its subject, but it is a subject that must be known.

1 comment:

Maw Books said...

What an amazing story. When I read this book, I was so touched by the battle that these young girls go through. This book was also beautifully written. I wish everyone would read this one.