Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Silent Governess

Summer reading is a delight beyond that of other reading throughout the year. I don't know why. Maybe it is because I'm transported back to all the summers afternoons I spent reading in the living room with my mom, all the trips we made to the public library, or the time spent sitting in a hot dusty truck in a wheat field waiting for the combine to rumble up.

This evening I finished The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen. I read about this book on a blog post by Tamera Alexander, one of my favorite authors. When I commented on her post, she sent me a copy of the book. I've not been able to put it down! The story is set in nineteenth century England. The main character, Olivia Keene, finds herself fleeing her hometown after witnessing what she assumes is an act of family violence. She finds herself, after several mishaps, imprisoned and wounded. When her would-be accuser becomes her rescuer, she finds herself employed as a governess in Brightwell Court. Olivia has such a heart for the children in her charge, as well as others in the household for whom she longs to open the doors of learning. The mystery that Klassen has woven into the plot and the wonderful characters she has brought to life made this book a delight from the first to the last page. The Silent Governess was the winner of the 2010 Christy Award for Historical Romance.

While at the Wakefield Public Library, I checked out another Klassen title: The Apothecary's Daughter. That's at the top of my bookstack.

No comments: