Saturday, July 16, 2011

Book-Talking: A Family Legacy

It went without saying that I would read this book.


Years ago when my daughter was in junior high, she started reading the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books while we were on vacation. She said, "Mom, you've GOT to read these books! I can't wait to talk to you about them!" So, I read them. And, so, we talked about them. Mother-Daughter book-talking is family legacy. My mom and I have always loved to talk about books we're reading and to suggest "next reads" to each other. My daughter and I have loved doing the same. My mom, daughter, and I can pretty much peg which books we'll all enjoy and love. So, this summer, years later, while on vacation I saw the review for Sisterhood Everlasting and showed it to my college-aged daughter. On our next outing we snagged a copy at Target and she mowed through the book. Upon handing it to me, she said, in a not so round about way, to hurry up and read it, because, "I can't wait to talk to you about it!" So, I read it. And so, we talked about it. And so we shared the connections we made to characters and themes and story lines. And so the legacy continues.


Thanks to my mom, for starting this legacy in our family and to my daughter for allowing me to carry it on with her. And thanks to the authors who write books for all of us.

No comments: